January 19, 2010

The Guy Who Moved to New Mexico

I met a 26 year old who had just returned from teaching English in Ukraine (swoon). He was smart, witty, and adorably awkward. We talked several times in the middle of the night during mutual bouts of insomnia before deciding we would meet, despite his plans to move to New Mexico. 


Yes, I know I knew in advance. Yes, I'm going to complain anyway. 


We discussed travel, the criminal justice system, and other things that make me giddy over dinner. We walked to a bar for drinks, where we talked about our future plans, social norms, and other things that make me nervous. He held my hand. I can't remember the last time my heart skipped a beat because a boy held my hand, but I suddenly felt like I was 14 again. We stayed for a while, talking and smiling, while I silently tried to convince myself that he wasn't as charming and sexy as I thought he was. We left, and he walked me to my car. It was really effing cold, but that didn't stop us from making out like children on the sidewalk. We parted ways after becoming aware of the frostbite developing in our shoes, with plans to see each other again the following week. 


I'll spare you the mushy details of our second meeting, mostly because I don't think I have the words to describe it. 


Then came the part where he moved to New Mexico. I was content with the time we spent together, and was grateful for the experience. Of course, I decided that I hadn't had enough, and wanted to see him again.  I assumed that he would have similar feelings... how could he not after the time we had spent together? (You know what they say about assuming things...) I told him that I would really like to see him, despite the logistical hurdles.


He likes me, and he enjoyed the time we spent together. But, he can't do long distance (WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT LONG DISTANCE?!), and it just so happens that he met someone else.


Yes, I should have seen it coming. Yes, I'm still grateful for the experience and no, I don't have any regrets. But...yes, my heart did break just a little.






1 comment: